the nevada dept. of education teach nevada scholarships help train additional licensed teachers for areas with significant teacher shortages. the scholarships cover the licensure portion of the master of arts in teaching or bachelor of education programs. students must be newly enrolled to apply for the scholarship.
- students must be newly enrolled in a master of arts in teaching (mat) or bachelor of education (ba in ed) program at a state-approved nevada university.
- students must pursue licensing in elementary education, special education, or secondary education in math, science, or english.
- students must maintain good academic standing during the program and maintain employment in eligible nevada public schools for five consecutive years after completion.
- the student also agrees to complete the requirements to obtain an endorsement to teach english as a second language or an endorsement to teach special education.
the objective is to provide as close to full scholarships as possible. the number of scholarships is limited. scholarship awards are based on program eligibility, financial need, and the student’s commitment to help to fill the need for teachers in the state of nevada. applicants must fill out the fafsa.
how it works
recipients will be awarded up to the teach nevada scholarship limit of $24,000 per student. the student receives 75% of their award while they are in attendance. the remaining 25% is deposited into a trust account established by the nv doe for the student. that 25% remains in the trust account until the student has completed the preparation program; maintained employment at a nevada public school for five consecutive years, including three years at a school on the eligible schools list for teach nevada scholarship recipients, found at www.doe.nv.gov/; and has met any other requirements established by the state board.
scholarship recipients must submit an enrollment certification form for each semester that they are enrolled in the program.